Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Authors Seeking Artists

I hang out with a wide variety of people in NYC. One social scene in particular is full of genre/SF writers who are all very awesome.

Star of the Evening - P1110440
Star of the Evening, inspired by Jaqueline Carey's Kushiel's Dart.

A few months ago I went to the launch party for a friend's new SF novel, and she signed my copy "You owe me a necklace ;-D!"

Later she apologized for being so forward, and clarified that I didn't owe her a necklace, but that she really REALLY wanted to see some jewelry based on her book posted up around the interwebs. Because I do that for a lot of literature that I read, and I guess I've accidentally made a reputation for myself ;-).

MsSpink_P1080745
Miss Spink, inspired by Neil Gaiman's Coraline.

And from what I've seen, writers love it when a world they've built from words inspires others to create more art based on that world. Folk art indicates that they've truly created a myth cycle that is tying a whole community of artists together.

Rosie114_P1090297
Rosie, inspired by Ellen Kushner's Privilege of the Sword.


I'm not inspired to make jewelry for every book I read, but if you are a writer that wants in on this happy little branch of fandom here are some suggestions:

  • Include jewels and jewelry in your stories.

If there's jewelry in text, that's the most automatic thing for a jewelry artist to hone in on.

  • Write strong characters with vibrant physical descriptions.

I know I think very visually, so the stronger an image is in my mind's eye while reading a story, the more likely I am to be inspired.

  • Trade books to artists for their artwork.

I've been at some conventions where I didn't mind trading finished jewelry for new books. That doesn't work for everybody (mine is more hobby than business so I have more financial flexibility), but it is a way to ingratiate yourself to artists ahead of time.

  • If you see art inspired by your written work, properly credited to you of course, flaunt it on your blog.

Like everybody else artists like to feel appreciated, and big online displays of appreciation usually make artists pretty happy. It will also encourage other artists to read the works of an art-friendly writer and post their own pieces to the public.


Now go forth and write new worlds! Inspire the rest of the universe ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment